Thu, 24 Jun 2021
14:00 - 15:00
Virtual - Livestream
I’m delighted to provide your invitation to an exciting livestream event of a new film resource for young people: The film will raise awareness of the lifelong consequences of drinking during pregnancy.
It’s society’s acceptable drug, a part of everyday life but drinking during pregnancy can cause lifelong harm and lead to fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD).
We are delighted to invite you to be part of this livestream launch of Birthday, a brand-new film aimed at young adults to raise awareness of the harm caused by drinking during pregnancy.
Did you know?
• It’s estimated that 41% of pregnancies in the UK are alcohol exposed.
• Recent prevalence research shows that FASD may affect 1.8% of children. Therefore approximately 619 babies are born every year in Greater Manchester with FASD and the same number enter the education system each September requiring additional health and educational support to fulfil their potential.
• FASD is a range of lifelong disabilities that includes physical, mental, behavioural and learning impairments. It often causes difficulties with speech, language, memory, attention, planning and decision-making.
• The new film aims to stimulate conversations to overcome the entrenched societal perceptions and misconceptions of drinking during pregnancy by exploring youth culture and alcohol in relation to sex and relationships without alienating or stigmatising the target audience.
To structure conversations prompted by the film, a set of lesson plan resources are also available.
Developed by Oldham Theatre Workshop | on behalf of the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership the film follows the success of the original interactive theatre performance and educational workshop that toured secondary schools in Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Tameside in 2019 attended by over 5,000 young people.
Places are not limited, and we welcome anybody with an interest in preventing prenatal alcohol harm or raising awareness of FASD.
How to book / contact details:
For full event details and to reserve your place, please visit Launch of Birthday (england.nhs.uk)
Booking process steps are as below:
3. Next steps
4. Accept T&Cs and place booking (free of charge)
An auto confirm will be emailed to you.
Login or registration is required before proceeding and should you not already have an account, one can be created via Login (england.nhs.uk)
Who is the event for:
This livestream launch of Birthday is brand-new film aimed at young adults to raise awareness of the harm caused by drinking during pregnancy.