The Cabinet Office have published a Call for Evidence on offender employment. They would like to get responses from as many public, private and voluntary sector employers, organisations and professionals who:
• Proactively hire people with a criminal conviction and/or offer fair opportunities for people with a criminal conviction to apply for vacancies;
• Impose restrictions and/or bans on the hiring of ex-offenders for some or all jobs depending on the offence(s) committed;
• Work directly with ex-offenders to improve their employability for example, through the provision of skills training, outreach, mentoring, work placements, etc;
• Work with or advise other organisations on creating fair recruitment practices and supporting ex-offenders in the labour market;
• Campaign to reduce the stigma associated with having, or hiring someone with, a criminal conviction.
As well as taking part in this exercise yourself (if appropriate) please can you share this amongst your networks as the government want to make sure they get as many responses as possible? This data will help to inform their understanding of employer attitudes, best practice and future policy work in this area.
To take part click here.